PACIFIC JUSTICE INSTITUTE recommends the following steps to take in the event that your Request for Religious Exemption is denied:

1. Request that your employer provide you with the steps on how to appeal the denial. Follow those steps, if any.

2. If the denial is final and you want to pursue the matter further, you must file a complaint with either the regional office of the U.S. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION (EEOC) or your State’s equivalent. .  Note that some states may require you to file with them in order to preserve specific state rights.

3. Your matter will either be resolved by the government agency or you will receive a right to sue letter.  It is important to go through either the EEOC or your State’s equivalent before you can bring a matter to court. Courts will throw employment cases out if this process is not followed. There are often strict time limits on filing with the EEOC. Some states will have time limits that are unique to them.

4. After you receive the right to sue letter from the EEOC or the State agency, you may contact the PJI Legal Dept. to review your records and determine if you have a viable case in which we can represent you or refer you to any employment law attorney.

The EEOC and equivalent state agency processes are designed to be used by individuals and do not require a lawyer to be involved.

Due to the extraordinary volume of requests that PJI is receiving at this time, they are unable to review and comment on every exemption letter being sent to them. Following the above guidelines should, however, put you in the strongest position to either have your request granted, or to contest its denial.


STAFF ATTORNEY PJI NEVADA OFFICE: Emily Claire Mimnaugh  [email protected]